You may have noticed that work has already taken place to implement the closure at Shakespeare Road and St Matthews road and work will begin tomorrow on installing bus gates along Railton Road itself.
There are a several important facts that we want to make sure everyone is aware of;
The whole area will be fully accessible for vehicles to travel to and from. Whether driven by residents, businesses, deliveries, or visitors to the area from elsewhere, nothing being introduced will stop people from driving to and from the area. Their route may change but no vehicles will be stopped from accessing the area.
- Every single street within the area will be fully accessible, by vehicle, from one direction or the other. Routes may change but no vehicles will be stopped from accessing any section of any street.
- We are working with the community to listen to residents’ feedback and we are monitoring the way traffic and air quality changes. We will refine and improve the layout of these changes based on the combination of technical data and community feedback. Go to www.rtstreets.commonplace.is to have your say or text/call 07860180545 to learn more about the project and how you can be involved.
- Less traffic passing through the area creates much needed space to support businesses and customers, particularly on Atlantic Road, to enable more space to safely distance. In addition to business support grants, we are working with local businesses to enable them to use this space to ensure their survival through this time.
- Providing road works are not delayed the changes will take effect on the 27th June
- The changes are enforceable as soon as the signs are in place. A police officer can issue a fine to a vehicle if seen going through the closure.
- The council will begin actively issuing warning notices for vehicles passing through the restriction on the 11th July.
- Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) will start being issued for vehicles travelling through the restrictions from 25th July. This will help people with time to adjust to the changes and allow much needed conversations to take place with the community.
Our professional bike mechanics set up stations in the Railton Area offering free cycle maintenance checks and advice.
Check locations and timetable below :
Marcus Garvey Way
27/06/2020 - Saturday 12:00 - 15:00
01/07/2020 - Wednesday 16:00 - 19:00
Shakespeare Rd / Coldharbour Lane
04/07/2020 - Saturday 12:00 - 15:00
08/07/2020 - Wednesday 16:00 - 19:00
Finally our new “Feet Friendly Street” campaign is about to hit the streets of Railton. Watch out for it